Verses: 1 John 2:1-12
“Polarization in America is reaching nearly unprecedented heights. It is no longer that we believe those the other political party are wrong, stupid, or misguided. The most devout in each party thinks the other side is EVIL.”
- Dr. Jonathan Haidt, Social Psychologist.
1. There is nothing more important than our apprenticeship to Jesus
“If you fit neatly in the Democratic Party, or neatly in the Republican Party, you probably don’t fit neatly in the Kingdom of God.”
-Pastor Rich Villodas
2. Apprenticeship to Jesus looks like letting love lead
3. Religious hate is a symptom of dark and Christ-less thinking.
“To be a Christian is to forgive the inexcusable in others because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you.”
1. Why do you think republicans and democrats have shifted from disagreeing with each other to hating each other?
2. As an apprentice to Jesus, what is your role in engaging politics?
3. How can we let love lead when disagreeing politically with another follower of Jesus?
4. What are ways we can keep our disagreements from turning into hatred?